Searle Memorial Church Great Brak River
Searle Memorial Church
The Searle Memorial Church was built in 1930 on the site of a pond. The land was drained and consecrated on January 1st 1928 by Rev. Olver, 68 years after the Searle Family arrived in Great Brak River. Gordon Leith designed the pulpit with timber bought by the London Missionary Society in appreciation of the Searle’s service to religion.
The pulpit was made Walter Pike. The organ was bought by members of the W.A. but now stands in the Museum. The font was a gift from the Sunday School. The stanchion in one of the gateposts used at the defunct Tollhouse and the base and bowl was turned from timber of a tree planted by Charles Searle senior when he arrived in Great Brak River.
The church bell was presented by W.L.S. Franklin who was married to Winnie Searle, youngest daughter of Charles Searle junior. and Mary (Westbank). The Searle family bible, which is kept up to date, is displayed in the porch.
Source: Great Brak River Museum